At Widney Junior School, art, craft and design has a significant and valuable role to play in the overall ethos of the school. These aims are intended for all children in school. How they are implemented will depend upon the age and ability of the children.
- To provide children with opportunities to express themselves confidently in emotional terms through their art experiences.
- To provide children with the opportunity to have an enriched experience of the visual and tactile world in which they live.
- To ensure the children learn a range of skills so that they develop an expertise in using both materials and equipment, therefore enabling the realisation of their ideas.
- To develop the children’s patience and persistence to realise their ideas and to recognise the possibility of making mistakes without the feeling of a sense of failure.
- To develop an understanding of the work of artists, makers and designers from their own and other cultures and to apply this knowledge to their own work.
- To develop the children’s capabilities in ICT by working with digital art forms.
- To develop the ability to analyse and make informed critical judgements about their work and the work of other artists, crafts people and designers using appropriate language.
Art is an on-going process through which all children are given opportunities to develop specific skills, knowledge and understanding to enable them to work in variety of media, style and form. It enables children of all abilities to use their creative imagination to achieve their potential with guidance and given criteria.
Children work individually and within groups to develop social and personal skills. Art is not taught in isolation, although it retains its creative base and its skills and techniques. Wherever possible, the art units are linked to other areas of the curriculum and this gives the children opportunities to develop specific art skills and reinforces skills already established.
- Autumn - Gestural Drawing with Charcoal
- Spring - Working with shape and colour
- Summer - Telling Stories Through Drawing and Making